Associate Professor in Biology, especially Plant Ecology
Uppsala University is a comprehensive research-intensive university with a strong international standing. Our ultimate goal is to conduct education and research of the highest quality and relevance to make a long-term difference in society. Our most important assets are all the individuals whose curiosity and dedication make Uppsala University one of Sweden’s most exciting workplaces. Uppsala University has over 45,000 students, more than 7,000 employees and a turnover of around SEK 7 billion.
The Department of Ecology and Genetics is a dynamic and highly international academic environment with staff and students from all over the world. Our research interests are broad, ranging from evolutionary ecology and genetics to studies of entire ecosystems. For more detailed information on our research, please see www.ieg.uu.se.
We now wish to strengthen our research and teaching activities within the program of plant ecology and evolution.
Description of subject area of the employment: The ideal candidate conducts research related to plant population and community ecology and complements current research at the program, which ranges from evolutionary genetics to community ecology.
- Teaching, research and administration. Teaching duties include course responsibility, course administration, and supervision of second- and third-cycle students.
- Follow developments within the subject area and the development of society in general that is important for the work at the University.
- The person appointed will be expected to perform research in plant ecology and be able to interact and generate synergies with existing research within the program.
- PhD or have the corresponding research competence or some other professional expertise.
- Research Expertise and Teaching Expertise. It is necessary that the pedagogical skills, the research expertise and the professional skills are relevant to the content of the employment and the tasks that will be included in the employment.
- Applicants must have completed teacher training of relevance to operations at the University, comprising ten weeks, or have acquired the equivalent knowledge. If special circumstances apply, this training for teachers in higher education may be completed during the first two years of employment.
- Documented ability to teach in Swedish or English is a requirement. The holder is expected to be able to teach in Swedish within two years.
- Personal capabilities necessary to carry out fully the duties of the appointment.
Assessment Criteria/Ranking of applicants that fulfil the above-mentioned qualifications required: The ranking of eligible applicants will be based primarily on research and teaching expertise, of which weight will be primarily given to research expertise.
Research Expertise comprises research merits. In addition to academic merits, research merits from other activities, including technology development, may also be taken into account including research merits obtained outside the academy, which includes for example technology development and innovation ability. In assessing research expertise research quality must be the prime consideration. The scope of research, primarily in regard to depth and breadth, must also be afforded consideration. Special weight will be attached to research merits in plant ecology.
Furthermore, consideration must be given to the capacity to plan, initiate, lead, and develop research and education in the third cycle, the ability to acquire funding for research in competition, as well as the demonstrated capacity to interact with others both within academia and in the wider community.
Teaching Expertise comprises educational and teaching qualifications. This expertise can have been achieved outside the academy through supervision, internal training, mentoring programs, etc. In assessing teaching expertise teaching quality must be the prime consideration. The scope of teaching experience, in terms of both breadth and depth, must also be afforded consideration.
Furthermore, consideration must be given to the capacity to plan, initiate, lead, and develop teaching and instruction, as well as the ability to connect research to teaching in respect to research in the subject at hand, subject didactics, as well as teaching and learning in higher education. The ability to interact concerning issues of teaching and learning in higher education with actors inside and outside the University is also included in teaching expertise.
All merits must be documented in a manner that makes it possible to assess both quality and scope.
In filling this position the university aims to appoint the applicant who, following a qualitative holistic assessment of her/his competence and expertise, is judged to have the best potential to carry out and develop the relevant duties and to help advance operations.
Further information: An applicant who is offered an employment as Associate Professor can be promoted to Professor if he/she has applied for this, is qualified for such a post, and moreover has been deemed suitable on the basis of the specific criteria established by the faculty board.
In an overall assessment of the applicant’s qualifications, parental leave, part-time work relating to care of children, union assignments, military service, or the like are to be regarded as work experience.
For further information about the position, please contact Professor Sophie Karrenberg, phone +46 (0)76 820 7578, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Salary: Individually negotiated salary.
Starting date: 01-09-2022 or as otherwise agreed
Type of employment: Permanent full-time position.
Scope of employment: 100%
Please submit your application by 30 September 2021, UFV-PA 2021/2238.
In the event of any disagreement between the English and the Swedish versions of this announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.
If you are an international candidate, you will find a lot of information about working and living in Sweden at www.uu.se/joinus.
Please do not send offers of recruitment or advertising services.
Submit your application through Uppsala University's recruitment system.